Re: Unwittingly flooding my internal network?

On Mon, 24 Feb 2003, Woodworth, Lora wrote:

> I just upgraded to Mandrake 9.0 on one of my boxes and my internal IDS has
> now logged about 6500 packets from that machine.  It appears to be
> broadcasting on the local subnet udp packets destined to udp/631.  Has
> anyone ran into this problem?  Does anyone know of a good way to trouble
> shoot which service this is coming from?

631 is CUPS, common Unix printing system.  by default, under mandrake, it
is set to broadcast on the local network to share printer configurations
among hosts without reconfiguring each host for every printer.

you can get it to stop broadcasting by editing the file
/etc/cups/cupsd.conf, and setting "Browsing" to off, then restarting the
cups daemon.  There are a couple other configurations in there so that it
only responds to local requests.  essentially, the file is setup like
Apache's httpd.conf file.

it's a regular service, so you can have it not start at boot time with
chkconfig.

HTH

--mandi