Custom Search

RE: Digicam

I'm not assuming that at all. You only need many more pixels of information
if you want to record the exact size and shape of each grain, which is of
course unimportant to image reproduction. As Kennedy pointed out, the random
nature of film grain is reflected in a high spatial frequency attenuation
curve, one example of which was shown in the Kodak gif image he provided a
link to. There may be some "energy" at those high spatial frequencies
because a small fraction of the grains are tiny, but since most of the
grains are larger, those high frequencies are heavily rolled off, and don't
really contribute to a real image. If I'm wrong about this, I'm sure Kennedy
will correct me.

--

Ciao,               Paul D. DeRocco