Custom Search

Re: Image sharpening vs. plate sharpening -- Was: Scanning oldpostcard for use on book cover

That's nice.  That assumes the client can attend the press run, or that
the client can be available to sign off on a run when it is about to be
printed, that there aren't several clients involved (original artist,
layout person, art director, publisher's rep, etc, who have different
requirements) that the press is a full 4 color (this is probably less of
an issue now, but I attended press runs years ago which used two runs of
a two color press to create a 4 color offset), and so on.  It also
involves not allowing yourself to be pressured by the pressmen or
salesman when you reject the pull and the plates need to be redone, or
inks levels or distribution adjusted, etc, since time is really money in
printing.

Also, with large presses, it isn't like all changes shows up on the very
print after the change is made, etc.

Yeah, its nice to be at the press run, but this can't always be
arranged.  And even with that, I've been at press runs where ultimately
due to time constraints it was a matter of coming up with a compromise
to get the run done.

The more the printing company provides instruction during pre-press, the
less excuses they have for the run not coming out correctly.

Art