Re: Scanning old postcard for use on book cover

Based upon the circumstances set out below, it is unlikely there is a
valid copyright still in existence, and maybe there never was one.  If
there is no copyright notice on the published image, and it is as old as
it appears, and the company is no longer around (and very possibly the
photographer or artist, also), it is probably considered within the
public domain at this point.

You have been provided with several suggestions on scanning.  I would
actually suggest one other point if no one else has brought it up.  If
you know who is going to be making the films or the plates, they should
be able to tell you exactly what they want for the submission.  Some
printers do not want any sharpening done, as they do it within the plate
making process.  Also, is your friend providing completely camera ready
work, or will it need to be sized or altered to accommodate the press
and bleed factors for binding and cutting?  If the size will be altered,
sharpening is best done last, so again, it is a matter of discussing
this with the printer. If the pre-press work will be done elsewhere, ask
them, as things like covers are often needed to be made oversized to
either be wrapped around during binding, or in paperbacks, they are cut
after binding and a certain amount of excess image is supposed to be
there so they can make it "full bleed" during the trimming process.

In general, it is best to work directly with the printer in these
matters because they know what requirements their equipment has.  It can
help to prevent excess fixes and redos.

Art

-