Re: nikon super jaggies

In article <3CC776A7.5D4A@hawaii.rr.com>, MacKinnon Simpson
<simpsonm001@hawaii.rr.com> writes
>Aloha,
>
>I just got a Nikon CoolScan II (LS-20) off eBay. I haven't used a
>slide scanner since the old Barneyscan (whose proprietary software
>became Photoshop). That was in '89 ... since then I've used several
>flatbeds as well as a digital camera with no difficulty.
>
>Anyway, I got this CoolScan with no documentation. Hooked it up fine
>(to a G3 desktop 266 running OS8.6 with 96 megs RAM and Photoshop 5.0).
>
>Installed the Nikon driver (Image Control 2.2?). I can scan slides,
>BUT the images have no color and go beyond jaggy--the notches look like
>a Venetian blind.
>
>I'm thinking I may need more RAM, or I may be setting something wrong.
>
>Does anyone have experience with this?
>
>Thanks very much,

Mac, check that the driver that you have for the LS-20 is version 1.63.
You should be able to scan from any TWAIN compatible application, not
just the Image Control 2.2.

Also, make sure that you are scanning with the correct resolution in the
driver applet - 2700dpi @ 100%.  If you have selected a lower dpi with a
higher percentage then I think you will get symptoms similar to those
you describe.  Unfortunately, I just decommissioned my machine linked to
the LS-20 last weekend, so I can't check this for certain and am working
from memory.
--
Kennedy
Python Philosophers