From: "Gene Merritt" <bsirius@earthlink.net>
To: "scanner" <scan@leben.com>
Sent: Wednesday, April 24, 2002 9:57 AM
Subject: Scanner suggestions

> Hi
>
> I'm in a quandry about flatbed acanners. I know there were postings
regarding this in the past, but I'm now in a place of real dissatisfaction
with my current 'cheapo'  $79 flatbed Umax.

> It's the old problem of lack of funds yet the need for high
quality...sigh. I've boxes (100s) of 8x10 b&w photos from my ten year stint
as a news photog. Plus a ton of color slides. All of these mostly from the
1980s.

> I've been putting these into this G4 Mac via  that 'crummy' scanner and
the PrimeFilm 1800i film scanner. I believe it was Fred who, earlier said
something about these looking great on the computer but printed out...ugh! I
now know that's true.

> Any suggestions on various scanners to handle this large amount of
material. One of the probs is I'm now disabled, and $$$ is also a
consideration.