Custom Search

Re: Noise on my SS4000

I'd suggest that a towel is the wrong thing to use for a cover, even a
disk towel.  They not only shed lint themselves, but they capture hold dust.

Any piece of sheet plastic, that isn't static prone, about the thickness
of a shower curtain will work.  Even a heavy plastic bag is better than
a towel.  Just cut a square that wraps around and then use some plastic
packing tape to tape it to create the corners (use the scanner to model
it when you are taping), and there you go.

I bought a package of plastic covers designed for computers and monitors
and keyboards which are made of a static resistant heavyweight plastic,
and slightly redesigned the size to work.  These sets cost under $10 at
computer retailers.

Regarding PhotoCD, if you have found a good provider who isn't damaging
your film and is producing good scans, and are finding the price
reasonable, I wouldn't argue the point with you at all.

I was involved in some of the beta of PhotoCD and I thought it was a
great concept, though ahead of its time for the general public, since
most people did not have the equipment or knowledge at home at the time
to do much with it. At the time, I suggested to Kodak that they forget
about promoting the home PhotoCD/CD player/reader and just license the
option to CD player manufacturers, and to push the reading software be
integrated into all image manipulating programs and the firmware be
available with all CD-ROM units.

Well, it took them nearly 5 years to take my advice, unfortunately.  In
the meantime, they lost millions trying to sell the Kodak CD/PhotoCD
players, made it way too expensive to license the file format, so no one
took it on, and the general public ignored the whole thing.  Further, I
had warned then that if they weren't going to monitor the quality of the
results coming out of private labs they were going to have some very
poor results, since this digital stuff was new to most labs and they
were not properly trained.  Heck, Kodak even recognized the problem with
unmonitored print production, and started their own program of checking
up on processing and printing with labs.

Anyway, the current status is the CD/PhotoCD players mainly were given
away in contests, and I occasionally see them in pawn shops, Kodak got
CD-ROM manufacturers to make multi-session reading standard in their
drive firmware, and they reduced the licensing and open coded parts of
the PhotoCD file format, the format became well accepted in professional
circles, and the rest is history...  If I had 1% of Kodak's losses in
trying to establish this format and not taking my advice, I could
probably be retired right now...

Art