Custom Search

Re: Sprintscan 120 issues/findings (comments welcomed)

----- Original Message -----
From: <rafe.bustin@verizon.net>
To: <scan@leben.com>
Sent: Tuesday, April 16, 2002 4:06 AM
Subject: Re: Sprintscan 120 issues/findings (comments welcomed)

> On 15 Apr 2002 at 22:51, Ernst Dinkla wrote:
>
> > Maybe the 'universal'
> > negative quality of NikonScan is only possible with the loss
of
> > shadow information. At least they could have informed us of
that
> > approach. It doesn't work for everyone and everything like so
> > many universal solutions.
>

> OTOH, both in VueScan and in Insight, I have heard
> people complain that this film profile, or that film profile
> is messed up or unusable.  So neither solution is perfect.
> It's an imperfect world, Ernst.
>
> I'm not sure what you would like Nikon to have informed
> you of, Ernst.  I don't see where their documentation
> is any more obscure than that of comparable scanner
> drivers.  I'm rather content with the way the scanner and
> its driver renders my negatives.  But that's just me.
>
> There is, of course, VueScan, and it does work on the
> LS-8000.  Have you tried it?

Tried Vuescan and Silverfast. Like NikonScan they have issues so
I prefer to stay with NikonScan and adapt the methods so that it
works for me. One other issue with NikonScan is that it doesn't
allow me to implant custom profiles for the transparency types.
Silverfast does allow that but I can't use it properly with
PhotoPaint the bitmap pogram that I prefer for its transparency
and excellent printer driver. It's an imperfect world, Rafe.   In
general I'm happy with the scanner.

Ernst