Custom Search

Re: Digital cameras as "scanners"

Close to this topic: to quickly index a slide collection, do the
following simple setup and procedure:

I've set up a 2Mp camera to record and file my 10,000 or so slides. I
put the camera on a tripod immediately behind and above the projector,
which is aimed at a piece of white matte-surfaced Formica about 24"
square. The image is about 12" square and very bright about 60" away. I
zoom the lens out so that the projection will fit either vertically or
horizontally and leave it on autofocus and autoexposure, color corrected
for incandescent. I just load the slides and shoot, occasionally
checking focus on the grain. I do it at night and put black velvet on
the table to minimize ambient light on the screen. The camera
automatically records the date and sequence number, which I afterwards
write on the slides so I can go back for a scan if needed. I put sticky
notes on each stack to keep in order. Some nice background music and a
cold drink helps.

Why? Michael said it's a waste of time, and it is if you're looking for
scanner quality. But when it takes (me) over 8 minutes to find, dust,
load, scan, remove, mark and re-store just 4 slides (2 min avg) on my
scanner, it will take me years. Instead I can leave the slides in their
storage boxes to project, dust if they need it, and shoot away -- it's a
LOT quicker. I've done 365 slides in one evening, about 3 hours (30 sec
avg, or 4x faster). It's still a long project but no longer hopeless.

This is only a prescan for seeing which ones are useful to take the time
to scan. I mark the slides that have been shot with a light color spot
and those that are scanned later with a dark color over the light-color
spot. For starters, I can batch-correct bad slides for color-shift and
fade, and optionally I'll crop out the black border to get a better look
(3:2 35mm slide format vs. 4:3 digital) by zooming. I mark the slide
boxes against a computer file directory where the image files were put.
Also, the HD is not loaded with slide files that probably will never be
used anyway. Getting a close, zoomed look at these has been a revelation
for me. Some are about 55 years old.

Yes, I know it takes two processes instead of one and I considered that,
but I'd rather prescan and index than do every single slide. I can
quickly organize the slide images into directories and galleries and
slide shows to decide what's next. And again, I'm not saying this is a
replacement for scanning, but it continues to be very useful for me. It
may be for others, and perhaps others have already done this.

Comments are always welcome.  --- Don Dement
=========