Custom Search

Re: To David Soderman: A Little Test

On 8 Apr 2002 at 22:33, Kennedy McEwen wrote:

> It was incompetent negligence beyond belief that a Nikon engineer
> expected the same calibration of one CCD to apply to all three to an
> accuracy of more than 14-bits!  (Since this is a systematic error
> extending over complete scan lines the correction necessary to ensure
> that mismatch is imperceptible is considerably greater than the noise
> floor of the scanner).
>
> I still have trouble accepting that this aspect of the design wasn't
> done by the Nikon tea-lady!    :-)

This particular theory was put forth by Ed Hamrick,
and it was (and remains) difficult for me to accept.

The much-dreaded banding on the LS-8000 is highly
regular and periodic.  Furthermore, it is in a direction
parallel to the CCD array itself (ie., perpendicular to
the scan motion.)

On a color image, it affects at least two of the three
color channels (green and red mostly.)

I just don't see how this alleged calibration issue can
lead to the banding that I and others have observed on
the LS-8000.

Furthermore, if this were a firmware issue, why wouldn't
Nikon have issued a firmware update by now to deal
with the problem?

I am much more inclined to believe that this is a
mechanical issue, perhaps related to stepper motor
resonance.  There is no doubt that the LS-8000 is
the loudest film scanner I have ever used.

rafe b.