Custom Search

Clipping

I've been following this group for about three months now, and have found it
to be very educational.

I have a question. Frequently, I see references to "clipping." Does that
refer to a histogram that does not extend completely to either end of the
scale, "0" at the shadow end, "255" at the highlight end? I have a Nikon
SuperScan 4000, and I often see voids on both ends of the histogram.
Recently, I have been scanning some Fuji Provia 100 slides - there, the void
is mostly confined to the shadow side.

Any insight would be appreciated in terms of defination, causes, fixes etc.

Regards, Gene