Re: Oranges and Reds Go Neon

Dane Kosaka wrote:
> Since I got the LS-8000, I've noticed that on Kodachrome scans oranges and
> reds sometimes go neon and bloom.  I did not have this problem with the
> LS-2000:
> http://www.marginalsoftware.com/Temp/LS2and8.htm

Dane, as I view your images, I see more than just glowing reds and oranges.
I see extreme color shifts throughout the image.  (For example, the color of
the blue water in the shot of the two people walking.)

Do you have this problem with all films...or just Kodachrome?

In the short time that I had the Nikon 8000ED, I had a similar experience
with glowing reds/oranges when scanning Portra 160NC negatives.  In
Photoshop, I had to decrease the saturation of reds *alot* in order to get
results that looked even close to natural.

In my case, it turned out to be a COLOR SPACE problem.  I eventually
overcame the problem by spending lots of time fiddling with different
combinations of color space settings.  Actually, it was so frustrating that
I can't even remember what finally fixed it!  I eventually returned it for
the Minolta Scan Multi Pro; and a whole new set of problems. ;-)

Joyfully,  -david soderman- <><

-