Re: Moving on

byard pidgeon wrote:

> It's best that Mr. Hemingway is "moving on", as is Polaroid with it's out of
> touch with reality concept of customer service.
> Time to get in touch with the new paradigm...you bought it, it's all yours.

Yes, a sad statement on the "new reality" of cutting every corner to
keep the price point over anything else.  I just want to know when
filmscanners are going to be sold at Walmart. (Satisfaction guaranteed ;-))

The truth is its is our own doing.  We will buy at the store that saves
us the extra $5, even if for that $5 you get a local retailer who

provided tech help. service, and liaison with the distributor.

I do not buy goods on the internet (other than ebay on occasion, where I
expect to be ripped off, and 80% of the time I am, so I never pay what
something is supposed to be "worth" because the odds are I won't get
what was advertised anyway).  Not only is there shipping, and often
customs and exchange to here in Canada, but I have no control over if I
get a factory sealed box or a return that's been repacked, I don't want
to pay double shipping, I don't want to spend hours on a toll free (if
you're lucky) lines waiting to speak to some surly character who tells
me I have to pay a 15% restocking charge after they sent me the wrong
item or it was damaged in shipping, or it was defective.

Hey, but that's just crazy me.  I'm sure I could save, heck, $100 a year
on my thousands of dollars of purchases if I went that route.  Instead,
I buy from a local brick and mortar dealer who I can look in the eye,
scream at if necessary, and even bring to court on the rare occasion
that was necessary.  But, honestly , by picking a good retailer, and a
good manufacturer, and paying a bit more, I've found most of my
headaches have been "lessened".

Scanner example:  My HP S-10 (defective) became 2 more, (found to have
an inherent defect) became an HP-20, also found to be problematic, and
finally nearly two years later my local dealer took back the HP-20 and
did a straight exchange for the Minolta Dual II, which unfortunately
also has problems and I'm on number two, soon to be three.  My dealer
OFFERED this to me.  I did not even have to ask.  He knew of my problems
with the HP models and he asked what was happening.  I told him I had
reached a dead end with HP, and he said, well, what if we take it back
and send it back to HP for you, and use the money toward another brand.
He special ordered the Minolta Dual II, since at the time the store
didn't carry it, and gave me a straight across on it.

He even offered to help me with the Minolta exchanges, but I decided
that he had not made any money, in fact probably lost money on the whole
transaction, so I've been dealing directly with Minolta since.  What
internet company would ever do something like that?

Its when things "go wrong" that a local dealer really is a great
investment, but since you never know when something will go wrong, why
risk it?

Now, as I said local repair service is quite another matter completely,
and I avoid them like the plague.

The same, I suppose, holds true for manufacturers.  If you find a
company that has pretty consistent quality control and good customer
service, they are worth paying more for.  How much more, I suppose,
depends upon your level of tolerance for dealing with angst. ;-)

Art

-