From: owner-scan@leben.com [mailto:owner-scan@leben.com]On Behalf Of
Arthur Entlich
Sent: Thursday, March 28, 2002 3:38 AM
To: scan@leben.com
Subject: Re: Dust and plasticiser haze
[snip]
The few times I have had my stuff fixed locally, it has come back
looking a lot worse for wear, and usually NOT repaired or with different
problems, so I pretty much stopped using them.  I sent my Nikon camera
in for a repair estimate, and when I got it back (I refused the
estimate) and opened the back, I knew exactly what color carpet their
test bench had on it... there were fibers and tufts of the carpet in the
shutter, in the baffling, in the film winder...  just disgusting.  I am
so glad I didn't let them open the camera up.  Then again, Nikon didn't
do a great job on the repair either, my autofocus lenses all misfocus
now, and that wasn't why it was sent in to begin with!

I've come to the conclusion that some things just shouldn't be repaired.
As much as possible, I almost always fight for a factory boxed exchange
when I get something that is not functioning within warranty.  Repair
shops just don't seem to be able to replicate the precision the factory
robots and machines and jigs can, even assuming they are competent
service people (another if)...  Also, the darn manufacturers often do
not design their product for being easily repaired.

I have no simple answers. Sorry,

Art

-