Re: Dust and plasticiser haze

In a nutshell... I didn't find anyone.  I did it myself! (Don't tell the
warranty depot... as I suppose I voided my warranty!)

I do a lot of framing with both glass and plastic fronts, so I've
learned a bit over the years about what works to avoid lint and
smearing.  Well washed chamois cloth, microfibre cloths, etc. I have
half a dozen different anti-static sprays I've tried, most of which
leave a residue, but sometimes it is still worth using them and then
removing them, as some of the anti-static qualities seem to remain. I've
even taken prime lenses apart to clean them on cameras and video
systems, photocopiers and other.  I don't typically do it for anyone
else, because its not what I "do" and it always un-nerves me to have to
work on other people's equipment.  I have done a few local friend's
scanners, if pressed.  The biggest pain, really, is finding the darn
release clips and screws, which manufacturers hide.

Now, admittedly, I have yet to try cleaning one over 600 dpi, so, maybe
1200 or 2400 resolution scanners need surgically clean rooms with
filtered air, like chip manufacturers use, I don't know.

The few times I have had my stuff fixed locally, it has come back
looking a lot worse for wear, and usually NOT repaired or with different
problems, so I pretty much stopped using them.  I sent my Nikon camera
in for a repair estimate, and when I got it back (I refused the
estimate) and opened the back, I knew exactly what color carpet their
test bench had on it... there were fibers and tufts of the carpet in the
shutter, in the baffling, in the film winder...  just disgusting.  I am
so glad I didn't let them open the camera up.  Then again, Nikon didn't
do a great job on the repair either, my autofocus lenses all misfocus
now, and that wasn't why it was sent in to begin with!

I've come to the conclusion that some things just shouldn't be repaired.
As much as possible, I almost always fight for a factory boxed exchange
when I get something that is not functioning within warranty.  Repair
shops just don't seem to be able to replicate the precision the factory
robots and machines and jigs can, even assuming they are competent
service people (another if)...  Also, the darn manufacturers often do
not design their product for being easily repaired.

I have no simple answers. Sorry,

Art

-