Custom Search

Re: HP 7400C flatbed vs old Nikon LS-2000 filmscanner

I think you raise an interesting option for people not requiring top
quality film scans.  Flatbed scanners are improving their resolution and
even somewhat their dynamic range.

In fairness, when you bought your LS-2000, flatbed scanners couldn't
scan at current resolutions, unless you were willing to pay even more
than the LS-2000 cost.  Further, current film scanners have advanced
beyond the LS2000, and you can now get a film scanner with better
resolution than the HP 7400C for 35mm scans that costs little more than
the flatbed  (Acer Scanwit 2720, Canon FS7210, etc) I think that more to
the point, people needing the ability to scan medium format film should
look more closely at the newer inexpensive flatbeds, unless, again, the
best current technology has to offer is required.

Art