Custom Search

RE: SilverFast (negafix)

jim:
1.  from what i can tell and from the silverfast / lasersoft website
states, negafix is ONLY on version 5.5, and thus whatever you have on
5.2 is not negafix.
2.  i can't recall in detail what version 5.0 was like, but i believe
negafix will differ from you have in the following respects:  a)  in
the older versions, when you choose "negative", a little dialoug box
pops up and then you can choose very basic data such as ASA, major film
types (kodak, fuji etc...).   with negafix, you still choose ASA, the
film company (kodak, fuji, agfa etc...) but it also has a huge list of
specific film brands (kodak royal gold, kodak gold, fuji reala etc...).
 and i assume via that huge list, the software algorhythm is much more
complex, which supposedly gives much better scans / color.  in terms
of the difference, i do feel that 5.5 with negafix gives better results
than without it--however, i only used 5.0 for only a day or so.  i upgraded
because it only cost me $10.00 to do so (a special promo for polaroid
customers).   however, i do believe that the 5.5 upgrade is only $45.00
for those with other versions of silverfast--so it may be worth a try.

3.  the only other thing is to go to the silverfast website and download
their user's manual on negafix--that'll give you a pretty decent idea
how to use it.  bottomline--> once you sit down and read the info, it's
pretty much a no brainer in terms of how to use it.  put the neg in the
scanner, run silverfast, since you specify that you're scanning a negative,
the negafix dialouge box will pop up all the time and all you have to
do is specify film / brand /ASA--> scan--> and that generally gives pretty
nice scans with minimal tweaking needed in photoshop.
4.  take care, let me know if you have any other questions.

harry shin

             For as long as space endures,
     And for as long as living beings remain,
                Until then may I, too, abide
           To dispel the misery of the world.

                           The Dalai Lama