From: owner-scan@leben.com [mailto:owner-scan@leben.com]On Behalf Of
Raphael Bustin
Sent: Thursday, February 07, 2002 5:38 AM
To: scan@leben.com
Subject: RE: Tony's List (A bit O.T.)

At 10:31 PM 2/6/02 -0600, Laurie wrote:

>I do agree that archives for the various mailing lists that are indexed,
>have search engines, and are kept up to date are most helpful; but if some
>third party wished to do it, I believe they should get permission from the
>list owner first to republish in full or digest form materials that were
>first introduced on the list owner's list or establish an indexed archive
of
>those materials.

A discussion list without an archive is, IMHO, a dangerous thing.

Particularly when the list is privately hosted, and particularly when
the moderator/owner has an agenda.

The Leben lists are privately hosted, but the moderator tends to
be rather invisible, and is not a contributor.  In Tony's case, it's
privately held, and Tony does contribute, and is active.  I know
Tony well enough not to be too concerned with that, but there are
others who are less deserving of that trust.

I have participated briefly in a privately-hosted list where the moderator
was quite active, and took to deleting posts that he objected to, and
purging the "archives" (which he controlled, of course) of posts that
he objected to.  IMHO, that's no way to run a "forum."

rafe b.