Umax Powerlook II & Win XP

I recently upgraded one of my computers from Win 98 to Win XP and discovered
that my Umax Powerlook II no longer would be recognized or function.  It is
part of a daisy chain which worked under Win 98 and which works with respect
to the other devices on the chain in Win XP.  I checked with Umax for
drivers and found a Win 2000 driver which also does not work with the Win XP
along with  s response to an email to Umax which said in effect that no new
or additional drivers would be provided for out of production scanners like
the Powerlook II.

My question is has anyone run into this problem and found a work around.
The scanner works fine for my purposes and it is a damn shame if it cannot
be adopted for use with a new OS.  Ironically, the two daisy chain
companions of this scanner are a SyQuest EZ135 drive (out of production for
longer than the Umax and whose company no longer exists) and a Minolta Scan
Multi ( a model which now is out of production although it is still on the
market with the introduction of the Scan Multi II and the Scan Multi Pro);
and they both work under Win XP with no problems or need for upgraded
drivers.  I wonder why this is the case and why Umax has chosen to orphan
its previous generation of professional flatbed scanners.  I can understand
orphaning the original Powerlook scanner which is now 2 -3 generations old.

-