RE: Cutting Negs

>I've heard or read that some (if not most) professional
>labs will cut & sleeve your slide film, rather than mount
>it -- at your specific request.  I have scanned strips of
>6x7 slides on my LS8000; that much I know.

>I've been told that you can also ask your lab to put
>C41 film in slide mounts, if that's what you want.

Technically 6x7 s are called transparencies; slides typically is a term
reserved for 35mm transparencies mostly, although it is also applied to
"super slides" which are larger medium format transparencies intended for
projection.  The common denominator for the use of the term "slides" seems
to be their intended use via projection versus on a light table.

Having said that, I really wanted to point out that what you have said about
labs is generally true; however, many 1 hour labs do not do E-6 in house so
they would not have the facilities for cutting C-41 into frames and mounting
the frames in slide mounts as you suggested.  Professional labs and those 1
hour labs which do E-6 offer both slide and film mounting in slide mounts or
sieving in strips of anywhere from 4-6 frames per strip upon request.

On 5 Jan 2002 at 23:47, Gary L. Hunt wrote:

> Probably should keep my mouth shut in hopes this thread is about
> to run its course, but there is one thing that seems to have been
> neglected in this discussion--namely that those of us who shoot only
> (or mostly) slides really don't have a choice.

Are you certain of that?  Have you asked?

I've heard or read that some (if not most) professional
labs will cut & sleeve your slide film, rather than mount
it -- at your specific request.  I have scanned strips of
6x7 slides on my LS8000; that much I know.

I've been told that you can also ask your lab to put
C41 film in slide mounts, if that's what you want.

rafe b.

-

-