Re: Cutting Negs

On 4 Jan 2002 at 12:57, Alec Pytlowany wrote:

> It appears to me that the only reason for not cutting neg film into single
> frames is tradition. In my experience it has nothing to do with being
> detrimental to any workflow or capapbility except some older one hour
> machines.
>
> Since I started doing this I find that there are only upsides.  If one wants
> to look for problems with something, then one will certainly find them.
> Perhaps thinking of working with neg film should be taken out of its box and
> turned on end.

Two reasons I prefer filmstrips:

Slide mounts tend to crop the actual image area.  If you reduce
the width of the mount (to minimize the cropping) then the
sturdinesss of the mount suffers, and the odds of a "bent"
slide increase.  You can't have it both ways, unless you want
to use non-standard (oversized) slide mounts.

Slide mounts trap dust, dirt and lint where the film meets the edge
of the mount, and make it impossible to thoroughly clean the
film, especially at that edge.  On a film strip, I can safely wipe
the entire length of the strip with a cotton cloth, StaticMaster
brush, or whatever.  I can even use a dampened cloth on the
non-emulsion side.

rafe b.

-