The Nikon LS-8000 and Analog Gain

The light source of Nikon LS-8000 consists of glass bar transverse and over
the path of the film holder.  The RGB LEDs are at one end of the glass bar,
which acts to integrate the three light sources.  I measured the light
intensity.  Since the light source flashes, I used an integrating flash
meter with a fiber-optic probe to measure the emitted light at various
settings of analog gain.  Here are the results (AG setting, EV): (-2, 0),
(-1, 1), (0, 2), (1, 3), (2, 4).  Negatives had an inverse relationship.  I
literally made hundreds of readings and got perfect consistency: if the
first reading was a specific EV all subsequent EVs were the same for the
same AG setting.

Note that there was a perfect linear correlation between AG and
EV.  Increasing AG by one increases the light by one stop.

I say this for one particular LS-8000, not any others or for the LS-4000.

Dane Kosaka

-