Re: How long things last

Liz wrote:

  > David
  >
  > Good points, my husband hauled off 2 printers, 2 computers with
keyboards,
  > monitors, etc, that were in excellent working order, but
technlogically too
  > old to be any good to anyone.  That's too bad, we are such a wasteful
  > society, with an attitutude of it's so easy to replace anything (heck we
  > even extend that to people!).
  >
  > My scaner is almost 5 years old, and while it may not be the fastest
thing
  > on the block, it still does the job that I expect it to!  At least
this area
  > of technology is not advancing as rapidly as other areas.
  >
  > Liz

European countries are legislating "take back" laws which will require
manufacturers to literally take back obsolete hardware from consumers.
This might reduce both the amount of planned obsolescence built into the
units and maybe even make some of this stuff more upgradable.

Some places recycle computer components for donations to seniors homes,
and special needs services.  Some places are beginning to ship even
older computers to developing countries where they re much better than
nothing, and where they an be used for applications like running
greenhouse irrigation and temperature systems.

Considering the need for simple word processors and printers for many
charitable groups, a system that is working might be accepted.

Linux is making 386 and 486 computers more powerful as well.  They can
be used as hardware firewall, or storage units for servers.  I'm
hoping someone produces a cheap method of tying computers together to
make a multi-processor system, which might ends up as fast or faster
than current computer CPUs.

Parting out older systems might also be of value to some.  Keyboards
with a simple adapter can convert good quality keyboards to PS/2
connectors (a buck or two), and some of those older keyboards were much
better made than newer ones.  Sound cards, some video cards, and the
like still have use, especially if PCI.  Power supplies can be used in
AT cases/motherboard set ups (which were used up to Pentium II).Again,
for word processing and children's games older monitors can be just
fine, as well.

Check with daycares, children's service organizations or even pre-schools.

Simple email only systems can also me made of these computers.

Remember that the quantities of heavy metal (including the lead in the
glass of CRTs, and coatings on hard drives, lead in solder, NiCad
batteries for bios backup, etc) are best left out of landfills.
Aluminum is a very recyclable metal and even gold can be striped from
contacts on motherboards and cards.

Art

-