Scanning Reflective Art

Just picked up a Microtek X12USL. Although this 1200dpi 42 bit scanner has
been out for a while, it's gotten good reviews, and if I'm interpreting
remarks of people on this forum correctly, scans much above 600dpi are
pointless for reflective art. I was originally holding out for the new Epson
2450, thinking I'd use the 2400dpi capability for 35mm film scanning, but I
got tired of waiting (even though I guess it's out now) and figured I might
be better off applying the extra cost of the 2450 toward defraying the price
of a dedicated 4000dpi film scanner at some future point. Just thought I'd
check the latest thinking before breaking open the seal on the Microtek. By
the way, does anyone know if there will be a driver available to run this
scanner under Mac OSX?

Jonathan
-