RE: Profiling negative films

Define inexpensive. ;-)

I'm still at a loss why the customer has to be burdened with all this
profiling. Is it a lack of standards between video card manufactures,
monitor manufacturers, etc. I think the public has been too accepting to
make profiling their problem, when maybe betters standards and QA would
solve the problem.

Factory calibration used to be a very expensive task, with a bench set up
and lots of trim pots to fiddle. Today, there are eeprom based
potentiometers, or eeprom plus dacs to do the tweaking. The factory
calibrations should not be a big deal.

If you get Stereophile Guide to Home Theater, they routinely calibrate every
display device they test. They also indicate how it came from the factory.
This calibration costs nearly a grand to the consumer, but who is going to
spend $1k to calibrate a TV that costs perhaps $2k.

-