Re: In defence of Nikon ED 4000 Focus Problems .... Long Post

In article <008701c18f39$ae8b09e0$adae7240@abcdwd86dderdt>, Alec
Pytlowany <alec@whooshnet.com> writes
>I'd say that for MY high res scans, it has not been the scanner with a
>focus problem rather than the film being bowed and few slide mounts
>holding the film perfectly flat.  Yet I don't see folks going on a
>rampage against Fuji or Kodak or Pakon or Gepe, etc., saying that
>they're products are terrible and defective due to their inherent
>properties related to poor film flatness.

Why blame Kodak, Gepe or Pakon when many of the reported focus problems
concern Nikon's own SA-21 film strip adapter or the SA-30 roll film
feeder?  Did I miss the announcement of Nikon withdrawing this unit and
redesignating the CS4000ED a "mounted slide only" scanner?

I have no doubt that the scanner can sharply scan film which is held
flat in the focal plane, but when the accessories provided by the
scanner manufacturer are unable to achieve that requirement then either
the accessory or the scanner itself has a design weakness.  In this
case, since industry standard slide mounts (although agreeably not the
highest quality ones) also fail to achieve the required degree of
flatness, it is clearly in the scanner where that weakness lies.

I am glad to hear that you are enjoying the Nikon experience, Alec, but
when Canon can achieve sufficient DoF in a 4000dpi scanner costing half
as much as the Nikon then I don't think that people's expectations are
too high for this product.
--
Kennedy
Python Philosophers