RE: NikonScan 3.1.2 "review"

rafe where to get this?

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-scan@leben.com [mailto:owner-scan@leben.com]On Behalf Of
rafeb@adelphia.net
Sent: Monday, December 17, 2001 7:05 PM
To: scan@leben.com
Subject: NikonScan 3.1.2 "review"

Curiosity got the better of me.  I was a bit nervous
about "upgrading" NikonScan, but I just had to know...

Fortunately, the install of 3.1.2, on top of 3.1, was a piece
of cake.  (This is on a Win 2K system.)  No need to deinstall
3.1 first.

Nikon has fixed two serious annoyances, at least:

1. It seems much smarter about locating the frames on a
strip of 645 negatives.  Though I wish it would simply let
me choose where the image is.  Still guesses wrong from
time to time, and then you have to go to the "Strip Film
Offset" slider...  But on 2 separate strips of 645 negs,
it got it right 7 out of 8 times.

2. *Much* faster TIF file writes in the standalone version --
Hurray!

One problem that hasn't been fixed is the oft-noted
compression of the histogram at the low end.  Ie.,
the darkest pixel is usually at around 20 (out of 256.)

I see no hint of a fix for the banding problem.  The
checkbox for "Super Fine Scan" is still there, and I
plan to continue using it.

The "Preferences" menus seem to have been simplified
and cleaned up.  Aside from that, the GUI is unchanged
from 3.1  The preview window has a ruler along two sides
of it now, calibrated in pixels.  Why bother, I wonder.

The new version doesn't seem to be appreciably faster or
slower than 3.1.

rafe b.

-
-