Re: Removing glass from Epson 1680

I can't give you exact instructiuons, and most scanner manufacturers
really don't like to tell, in spite of the fact almost every flatbed I
have ever worked with develops haze either during shipment to the
retailer (while sitting in a baking hot ship hull in the orient) or over
time at home or office.

You'd think they woudl provide basic instructions, but that's what
extended warranty programs seem to be for.  Of course, there are some
very delicate things inside a scanner, like the scan head, mirrors,
transport linkages, etc, and theyc an be ruined in teh wrong hands.

Most of these scanners these days don't use screws to hold together.
Instead they have interlocking parts that require 3 hands and some
special tools, or at least some good thin screwdrivers.  There are
usually some slots in teh bottom that need to have a thin blade press
through to deactivate the spring plastic tabs.  If you don't know the
order to do this and which way to exert pressure, they can easily be
broken, unfortunately.

If you can befriend someone who has the service manuals, or someone who
has done it before, that is your best bet.  I can almost guarantee that
Epson will NOT provide the info.  If it is still under warranty you
could threaten to ship it back under warranty repair, but they probably
will just replace it with another one with the same problem.

Art

-