RE: thoughts..

Hi Steve,

I like the SS4000 plenty, even more given the price and rebate.  There are
no 4000ppi consumer CCD film scanners available that are really worth what
people are paying for them given that the Polaroid SS4000 has a net cost of
$450-$550 or so.  Before the Polaroid story broke the price had come down
some but it was I think the first 4000ppi scanner out and it was and is
still among the top scanners available.  The only thing that has changed was
that Polaroid had filed for chapter 11 protection and is trying to dig
themselves out of a hole.  This freaked people out some but IMO no big deal,
the SS4000 is still a pretty good scanner and this didn't change.

For the difference in price you can buy a copy of Photoshop and add lots of
extra RAM and a huge hard disc to your system to make it work better for the
large files you will be manipulating.  There are certainly better scanners
with much higher resolution and with much better response to dense images on
chromes (this is where I'm coming from anyway), though they are quite
expensive and no longer consumer products.

Regards,

Chip Louie

-