Re: scanning slides...

Steve--

The main tradeoffs are speed, quality and cost:

o You can get the Nikon LS4000 with the 50-slide adapter for about
$2K.  It will give you high quality scans but you'll have to run the
batch (at least) overnight.

o You can get the kind of production filmscanner that photoprocessing
labs do from Konica, Kodak, Fuji, etc.  These will generally make
fast, decent scans and cost in the tens of thousands of dollars(?).

o You can get a large-bed flatbed scanner such as the made by Fuji or
Creo Scitex and batch scan (say) 40 slides at a time with high
quality for $50K?

o You can get a ScanMaker 8700 or similar scanner for about $1K and
put 20 slides at a  time on the 8 x 10 glass transparency tray and
scan the batch in say a minute, but you only get web-quality scans.

So, what tradeoffs are YOU willing to make?

--Bill

At 2:55 PM -0700 11/23/01, Steve Barbour wrote:
>I wonder if someone out there would have  suggestions re fast /efficient
>slide scanning.
>
>I have  (too) many  (Leica)  images on slides to scan, and a Minolta Scan
>Speed....good job but slow process...is there some sort of  scanner that can
>take a handful of slides,  and scan them rapidly, and automatically...oh
>please.... Ideas...?
>
>thanks,  Steve
>
>-
>Turn off HTML mail features. Keep quoted material short. Use accurate
>subject lines. http://www.leben.com/lists for list instructions.

Bill Fernandez  *  User Interface Architect  *  Bill Fernandez Design

(505) 346-3080  *  bill_sub@billfernandez.com  *  http://billfernandez.com
-