Re: testing samba 4 alongside samba 3

On Thu, 2011-11-24 at 12:06 +0100, steve wrote:
> Hi
> I have the opportunity to test Samba 4 and in particular the possibility
> of migrating from 3.6 to 4. I have a setup a spare box with 3.6 and ldap
> running under openSUSE 12.1 with a win 7 client on virtualbox.
> I had not used windows for over 10 years until I set up our SSO lan last
> month so I don't know much about AD. I read in the Samba 4 docs that you
> can drag and drop machines and users onto the AD.
> 1. Can I run Samba 4 alongside Samba 3 on my test box?

Maybe, I don't know.  It is certainly much easier to use virtual
machines and run them separately.

> 2. Can I migrate users and machines (in my case a few test users and one
> w7 virtual machine) from Samba 3 to Samba 4? Is there a script?

Yes, samba4 provides samba-tool which has a domain upgrade tool.

samba-tool domain samba3upgrade

> 3. For the 'drag-and-drop-users. . .' bit, will I need a GUI on my
> openSUSE host?

No, you can to quite a bit via net / samba-tool.  And there is [although
I've never used it] a Python API.  Otherwise you use the MSC on a
Windows box.

> 4. Will I need to administrate Samba 4 from windows?

It is helpful.

> 5. Can anyone give me a one liner which starts with 'AD is. . .'

No, and anyone who says they can is full-of-crap and doesn't know what
they are talking about.

> 6. Is my setup OK for testing this? Do I need a separate physical
> windows client to test it?

You can test from a virtual machine.