Re: strict locking and kernel oplocks in the smb.conf

On Fri, Sep 30, 2011 at 11:48:52AM -0700, Philip Ong wrote:

> Hope this helps.
> [Philip Ong] Thanks, yes, it does. I'm having a problem with being able to copy a local
> Windows file to NFS area shared by samba on WinXP. If I set "strict locking = no", I'm
> able to copy the file to the NFS area shared via samba. This seems to only happen when
> upgrading from a kernel.org kernel of 2.6.36.3 and higher. I've tried on Centos 4.5 and
> 5.6 and all seems to point to either kernel or samba mix (3.5.11 and 3.6). I'd like to
> know the damage setting "strict locking = no" could possibly cause especially since I'm
> not sure if I'd want to ignore mandatory locks. Is this going to be a big problem? What
> are considered mandatory locks?

Actually you probably do want to ignore mandatory locks :-).

Is there another process accessing this file at the same
time ? If there is, and that process has taken a POSIX/NFS
lock out on the file, then "strict locking = yes" will
conflict.

More likely it's just an NFS bug in the locking code
though :-).

Jeremy.