Re: Problem accessing Samba Share from Windows

Carlos R. Pena wrote on Sat 04 Aug at 16:28 UK time

> Hello everybody,
>
> I am using Ubuntu 12.04LTS server running samba server on it.  I have
> problem accessing the shares from Windows XP with \\servername\share,
> but no problem accessing \\ip\share.  How can i correct this problem?. I
> have tried every single example found on google with no good results.
>
> Any help will be appreciated.

Is nmbd running? Problems like this are normally to do with the Windows
NetBIOS name resolution. If the Ubuntu server is not running nmbd, it
will not join the correct workgroup so will not be seen by the master
browser for the network.

Also worth checking that you have your net masks set correctly (a
machine will only join a workgroup if the net mask is correct as Windows
uses the netmask to determine the broadcast address for NetBIOS commands).