Re: unable to log on to Samba shares remotely

I did some extra tests and cleared the password of user2. (I ran "smbpasswd user2" and clicked twice on enter without entering any password.)

In addition I allowed guests to log in on the new share

[projB_dirs]
         comment = All ProjectB directories on Server1
         path = /disk/projB/prod
         read only = No
         guest ok = Yes

After these two changes I can log in with user2 on projB_dirs either locally or remotely from the second server, but not from the Windows XP PC. (Perhaps "net use" cannot pass an empty password?)

For me this implies the connection is basically working but could it be different encryption techniques for the password are used on the remote client and my Samba server?

Kind regards,

Dirk Claesen