Re: Prevent Samba clients from changing group ownership?

Jack Bates wrote:
On 06/06/12 01:35 AM, Jonathan Buzzard wrote:
On Wed, 2012-06-06 at 06:47 +0000, Dirk Traenapp wrote:

[SNIP]

With this configuration i can force every new folder or file belonging
  to default-group of the parent folder.

But won't stop me *changing* the ownership of file or folder.

Right, and thanks for all the advice. We want the group ownership of all files and folders in a particular directory to be "www-data", so we used "chmod g+s" on the directory. This seems to work well for many Samba clients, but we notice that the group ownership of files created or edited by some Samaba clients is the default group of the user, not "www-data". The client is (at least one version of) Mac OS X

Argh, that particular gem, the version of OSX in question is 10.5 :-)

Turning Unix extensions off will do the trick, you can then just use the force group option and it will work as desired. The problem is that in 10.5 the Mac client see's that it can use Unix extensions and uses them in what can only be described as a totally inappropriate manner. They fixed this in 10.6, and then replaced the SMB client with something of their own devising in 10.7 with a whole bunch of different problems. I have grown to hate Apple due to its poor and ever changing support for SMB.

JAB.

Fife, United Kingdom.