Re: cross-compile samba4

On 18/05/2012 08:54, Kai Blin wrote:
On 2012-05-18 09:45, Mike Howard wrote:

Hi Mike,

I have compiled natively on the dreamplug and it did take ~2hrs. In the
past I've usually had to compile numerous times and time is money as
they say :), so compiling on my desktop, at just under 5mins, would be a
boon.
The Archlinux|ARM folks have a guide on using distcc cross-compiling
guide on their website,
http://archlinuxarm.org/developers/distcc-cross-compiling

I haven't tried this myself yet, but it should be adaptable to your
set-up and allow you to launch ARM builds that are distributed to your
desktop machine.

Hello again Kai,

As previously mentioned, distcc turned out not to be of any improvement over my initial cross compile attempts.

I also tried qemu which wasn't much of an improvement over compiling natively on my ARM device.

I have eventually succeeded in cross compiling on my x86_64 desktop and although it's not as fast as a 5 minute native compile, I'll settle for 14 minutes as opposed to over 2 hours.

Thanks for the input.

Cheers,
Mike.