errors during samba 3.6.5 compile

Hello,

I am trying to compile Samba 3.6.5 from the official tarball, I am
following the how-to from samba.org and run into several errors like the
following example when I try to run configure from the source3 directory:
configure: failed program was:
| /* confdefs.h */

I am running Ubuntu 10.04 LTS server edition.

I have compiled a previous version and ran into a similar problem, I
suspect I am missing some libraries.

Derek