Re: Basic questions regarding Samba capabilities

Hi, thanks for your reply:

On Mon, May 21, 2012 at 7:51 AM, Aaron E. <ssureshot@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> First, I'm not sure if your speaking of samba4 or just upgrading your s3
> domain structure .. my comments are based on samba4 hope it helps ..

Actually I was thinking about using a stable version of Samba like
3.x. I know that Samba 4 is still being developed for many years. Do
you really suggest me to use this alpha version of Samba4 for a
critical environment like the one I described? It would be great to
have an Open Source ADS implementation with Samba4 but for now I think
I can just get as much as possible of features that Samba 3.x can
offer me.

> Policies: -- Group policy works with S4.. So whatever group policies you can
> set in windows DC you can set on the S4 dcs..

What tool do you use for edit/create policies? I was reading a little
about the native MS Windows 2000 tool for policy editing but if you
suggest me to use Samba4 I believe you could recommend me to use the
Windows 2003/2008 policy editor or something like that?

> Scalability -- 1PDC and several BDCs would be your answer. Essentially your
> going to create the same infrastructure as you would with the windows family
> of servers. unstead of multiple pdc's you'd use bdc's at in different
> vlans.. or RODC's but I am not sure where the RODC's are in terms of
> completeness.

I'm sorry but I have never heard about RODCs before. Are they read
only primary or backup domain controller? How do they work?

> Backend -- OPENLDAP isn't supported as a back-end.. I believe that your only
> option is to use the built-in samba4 back-end at this point..
>
> Compatability -- there are no special steps in joining windows 7 or 2008
> servers to the S4 domain..
>
> There is an upgrade script that should pull your users and computers to the
> new domain, obviously this would require extensive testing in your
> environment.

Thanks for all