Re: Samba4 DNS - Adding CNAME

On 21/05/2012 20:38, Charles Tryon wrote:
I have been working on this too, and found that I needed to add the FQDN as the target of the CNAME. This is what appears to be happening... When I just put in the name, for example:

samba-tool dns add dnsserver mydomain.org <http://mydomain.org> newname CNAME realname

...and I use the Windows DNS tool to look at the record in the mydomain.org <http://mydomain.org> zone, it maps "newname" to "realname." <--- NOTICE the "dot" at the end. In DNS parlance, that dot usually means, "don't add anything after this." So, when DNS is trying to resolve the actual IP, it tries to look up "realname" with no domain, and eventually times out. If you change this to:

samba-tool dns add dnsserver mydomain.org <http://mydomain.org> newname CNAME realname.mydomain.org <http://realname.mydomain.org>

... then doing a "dig" or "ping" or whatever seems to work correctly.

  I may be doing this wrong, but at least this is how I got it to work.