Re: Samba4 DNS - Adding CNAME

Hi

On 19 May 2012 11:34, Mike Howard <mike@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I'm using samba 4.0.0alpha21-GIT-UNKNOWN provisioned to use the internal dns
> server. I'm having a bit of trouble adding a CNAME entry, or more correctly,
> getting it to resolve after adding.
>
> Prior to adding the CNAME a query returns (the relevant record);
>
>  Name=centos, Records=1, Children=0
>    A: 192.168.1.11 (flags=f0, serial=2, ttl=900)
>
> It's more than likely me doing something wrong, I really am poking around in
> the dark a bit with samba-tool, so maybe somebody could help me out. I've
> added a CNAME entry using samba-tool as follows;
>
> samba-tool dns add 127.0.0.1 mydomain centos CNAME debian
>
> where <mydomain> is the zone, <name> is the name of a current A record (see
> above) and <debian> is the CNAME I want added.
>
> A query no returns (the relevant record);
>
>  Name=centos, Records=2, Children=0
>    A: 192.168.1.11 (flags=f0, serial=2, ttl=900)
>    CNAME: debian. (flags=f0, serial=19, ttl=900)
>
> On the face of it, to a layman like myself, the entry is added successfully
> (as per samba-tools output - Record added successfully), however,
> am 'nslookup' returns;
>
> # nslookup debian
> Server:         192.168.1.254
> Address:        192.168.1.254#53
>
> Non-authoritative answer:
> *** Can't find debian: No answer
>
> So, the question is; What am I doing wrong?

I haven't tried the above myself, but it seems you are adding it the
wrong way around.  i.e. it looks like you are saying that the
canonical name of "centos" is "debian" instead of what you want (i.e.
that the canonical name of "debian" is "centos".)

i.e. it looks like you now have this situation:

centos IN A 192.168.1.11
centos IN CNAME debian

--
Michael Wood <esiotrot@xxxxxxxxx>