Annoying: libreoffice doesn't understand smb:// protocol

Hi
This is really annoying:

If we e.g. in Nautilus:
smb://server/share
and then attempt to open a file using libreoffice, the splash screen appears for a few seconds and then disappears. We have to mount the share locally to be able to open the file.

The beauty of the smb:// gvfs method is that it mounts with the uid of the user.

Does anyone have a workaround? Maybe I should take this to libreoffice?

Cheers,
Steve