Re: requesting help setting share permissions

On 05/10/2012 1:32 PM, Mike Eggleston wrote:
On Thu, 10 May 2012, Chris Smith might have said:

This:
================================
chgrp "GRP\sales" /opt/group/sales
chmod 0770 /opt/group/sales

if you already have a bunch of directories and files use find with
xargs to properly set the permissions
================================
With this:
================================
[sales]
        comment = Sales files
        path = /opt/group/sales
        valid users = @"GRP\sales"
        force group = "GRP\sales"
        create mask = 0660
        directory mask = 0770
        nt acl support = No
        inherit permissions = No
================================
Works fine in Samba 3.6.5, don't know about possible behavior changes
with that old 3.3.3.

Or you can use SGID as Dale suggested instead of "force group".

Chris
Chris and Dale,

Following Dales suggestion I have set sgid for all directiories in the
/opt/group/sales directory and below.  Now when a file is placed by
windows into this sales share the file has the right group permissions.
The file is still appearing as 0666 rather than 0660. What should I
try next?

Mike

Mike,

I'm not sure what could be overriding your "force create mode" parameter. :-\ Comparing my working share to yours, I have not used the "force group", or the "msdfs root" parameters. You might try disabling one or both to see if that corrects the problem. I did notice that the documentation says the Windows systems have to be rebooted to work properly after a Samba "msdfs root" change, if that applies.

Dale