Re: transfer users after samba upgrade to new server

On 05/06/2012 10:14 AM, Bill Szkotnicki wrote:
Hi,

I want to transfer all of my users from an older version of samba to a new one here.

The old version is 3.0.28 and the file with user passwords
is /etc/samba/smbpasswd

and the new version is 3.6.5 and there does not seem to be that file anymore.
I think the user info is now in
/var/lib/samba/private/passdb.tdb
/var/lib/samba/private/secrets.tdb

My question is how to transport my users to my new system?
i.e. How to convert
/etc/samba/smbpasswd ------> /var/lib/samba/private/passdb.tdb

Bill

Bill,

The smbpasswd backend is still available; it's just no longer the default. You must explicitly state "passdb backend = smbpasswd" in smb.conf.

To convert, copy the smbpasswd file from the old machine to the new one, then follow the example in the Samba HowTo under "Account Import/Export" found at

http://www.samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-HOWTO-Collection/passdb.html#pdbeditthing

Good luck.

Dale