Re: testing samba 4 alongside samba 3

**
hello folks,
all started with searching for an MS exchange server connector to fetch my
office my by Thunderbord on my private machine. So far I used Davmaill
(OWA) but I'm not that satisfied, so I found OpenChange but that needs
Samba4 installed on my NAS.
So I was checking the Samba wiki and mailing archive but I'm bit confused.
There are several version available, plus franky, what seemed to be not
supported anymore, according to the wiki.
Is the master the source for the Franky?
So when I getting the master git and build/installed it, I have samba3.6
and samba 4 running?
By the way is that the major difference between both:

samba 3X is a nt-style domain. You have to work hard to distribute gpos by
writing own scripts.
Samba 4 ia a ADS style domain. GPOs on the fly and nearly everything else
like ADS.

By the way, since quite a challenge to recompile anything for the NAS
(NSLU2 (Optware)) I found way to chroot Debian on my NAS.
So basically I chroot Dabian and installed the samba master in it, having
amba3.6 and samba 4. Afterwards I have to redirect the paths etc. to the
samba application, I more or less right?

thx

stefan

NAS
http://www.synology.com/products/product.php?product_name=DS212%2B&lang=enu

DavMail
http://davmail.sourceforge.net/

OpenChange
http://www.openchange.org/

OWA
https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Outlook_Web_Access

Debian chroot on Synology NAS
http://kristof.vanhertum.be/?p=132
**
Ipkg
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ipkg

Samba4 HOWTO
https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Samba4/HOWTO

Franky HOWTO
https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Franky

Samba Branches

    master
    This is the new combined branch for 3.x.x and 4.x.x
development.
    v3-6-stable
    This is the current branch for 3.6.x production releases.

    v4-0-stable
    This is the current branch for 4.x.x Alpha releases.

    v4-0-test
    This is the current branch for 4.x.x Alpha releases.