Re: Transfer speed

On Tue, 10 Apr 2012 15:43:53 +0200
Emmanuel Florac <eflorac@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Le Tue, 10 Apr 2012 08:26:48 -0500
> Chris Weiss <cweiss@xxxxxxxxx> écrivait:
>
> > that's dramatic!  what needs done (from a user POV) to get this
> > backported into Stable distro kernels?  suggestions?
>
> Most distros have recent kernels available in their repositories AFAIK.
> I personnally prefer to compile my own kernels from vanilla unpatched
> source.
>
> BTW I've tested with 3.1.10 too, and it falls in between 2.6.35 and
> 3.2 : writes fast at 100 MB/s like 3.2 but reads slowly at 35 MB/s
> like 2.6.35.

That's because async write support went in first (3.0?) and then async
read support went into 3.2 or 3.3.

3.4 will get async write support for "strictcache" writes (when the client
doesn't have an oplock and is writing around the cache).

I'm currently working on a set of patches to do async reads around the
cache as well when we don't have an oplock, and at that point I'll
propose to make "strictcache" the default (as the protocol mandates).

--
Jeff Layton <jlayton@xxxxxxxxx>