Re: Samba LDAP Failover

Am 02.04.2012 07:43, schrieb Massimiliano Perantoni:
Hi,

the distribution is a Debian 6 but I compiled samba myself against a self
compiled openldap 2.4.26.

Actually the only difference is the openldap client libraries version,
I do use 2.3 instead of 2.4, but using getent, as I stated before,
works...

If I do getent passwd I get, with the failure, the immediate list of
local users and, after a timeout, I get the users list from the
secondary LDAP.
I guess that nscd is working or, at least, the service is up and
running: never understood how does the system decide to use it or
not...
For what I know if I disable the service nothing changes, so that I do
not know if nscd is working or not...
If I stop the LDAP I get the failover with getent, but I have to wait
for the timeout set in ldap.conf.

I honestly don't know what's going on there. I just wanted to make sure that at getent is really working and doesn't just look that way because nscd masks the problem.

I guess your secondary 389 server doesn't show a connection attempt in the log when you simulate the failure of your first server ? You wrote that you don't use ssl - is this also true in ldap.conf ?

The passdb backend line doesn't look different
than yours (except the server names of course ;-)). You are not running nscd
by chance ? If so does getent passwd work with a simulated ldap1 failure
(via iptables) and nscd shut down ?

I get a timeout seconds (actualy 5 secs) delay... Then the answer,
while samba waits for the timeout set in smb.conf then fails.

Ciao a grazie!