Re: Is the PDC always needed?

Ah.  I wasn't clear on the domain authentication issue.
Are users unable to see shares? Or are they just unable to authenticate to them once they see them.

Also, just to clarify, were the users on the same subnet as the PDC but not the BDC?

In smb.conf, verify that the following is set:

        security=user

You can use the "smbclient -L" command on your BDC to verify the credentials for a windows user.

On windows machine, you can use the following to verify credentials:

    "net use \\theserver /user:yourname"

Assuming credentials are OK, users will still need to use wins to browse resources not on the same subnet (unless the specifically map drives on IP or hostname)