Adding to Samba domain requires super-user password

Hi,

Suddenly when I add a new workstation to out Samba3 (LDAP backend)
domain, I have to give the root username and password. When I set-up
the samba3 domain initially, I could use domain\admin user and their
password but that has started to give me "unknown user or bad
password". This last error is from a Windows7 machine I am currently
trying to add. I have merged the registry fix from
https://bugzilla.samba.org/attachment.cgi?id=4988&action=view.

Can someone offer me any pointers on how I can use a domain\admin
username and password to add workstations to the domain?
Thanks in advance.
Dermot.