Directory appears different dependent on access path

I'm very confused by a recent home directory inconsistency and am hoping someone can give me a clue where to look for the problem. It started when I used Adobe Illustrator to write a file to my home directory on a Samba share. Illustrator writes a new file by creating a temporary file, completing the write, and then renaming the file to the user-specified name. What I see as the final result is inconsistent: from the Windows machine that created the file I see what I would expect -- the name I specified exists. On the Samba host I see the temporary file name, with the correct contents, and the rename appears never to have happened.

All the evidence I have points to some persistent state on the Windows machine that causes it to transform the temporary name to the user-specified one, though that seems unlikely.

 * This behavior persists after rebooting both the Windows machine and the
   Samba server.
 * Looking through the path used to rename the file (e.g. \\foo\bar)
   consistently shows the renamed file.
 * Looking from Windows through another path resolving to the same
   directory (e.g. \\foo\users\bar) shows the temporary name.
 * Looking through the fully qualified host name (e.g. \\foo.com\bar)
   shows the temporary name.
 * Looking through \\foo\bar from some other Windows machine shows the
   temporary name.

The only place I see the renamed file is on the machine that created it using only the exact share name used when creating it.

To add some complexity: Samba 3.6.3 is running on FreeBSD 9 with ZFS. I looked in all the ZFS snapshots for the file system and didn't find any instance of a snapshot with the renamed file name. All the ZFS state I can find has only the temporary name.

Any advice on where to look, what state might be corrupt or what I might try to flush would be appreciated.

Thank you,
-Michael