Re: RH7.2 on Hercules

On Wed, Jan 08, 2003 at 06:30:18AM -0400, Marco Shaw wrote:

> > Look at http://people.redhat.com/laroche/ for some docu on how
> > to get it running. I am not sure if the hercules rpm is itself
> > running ok, or if you should better stay with the last released
> > version. So looking at the src.rpm is best, then figure some way
> > for a binary hercules rpm...
>
> OK, now did I do something silly?  It booted and I can ping it, _but_ I
> installed it with the firewall set to medium!  Did I do something and
> block myself out now?  ssh, for example, simply says connection refused.
>
> Doing such a mistake seems so easy, there must be a trick?!
>
> I can see the login prompt in Hercules...  :(  So close, yet so far.

Have you tried logging in via Hercules, and running the command:

"service ipchains stop"

?  That should turn of the firewall.  You can also check the status of the
ssh service with:

"service sshd status"

With the ipchains firewall service stopped, you should be able to log in
via ssh.  Once logged in via ssh, you can modify your ipchains rules either
manually (/etc/sysconfig/ipchains) or else with the "lokkit" firewall tool.
To disable the firewall altogether, you can use:

"chkconfig ipchains off"

Hope that helps!

DS..

/*  David Sainty       saint@redhat.com           Red Hat Inc.      */